Western Power builds, maintains and operates the electricity network in the south west corner of Western Australia, delivering an essential service to power a modern lifestyle, safely, reliably and affordably. We’re focused on serving our customers, and are committed to providing a safe working environment for our people. It is an exciting time in the electricity industry: a time of great change, innovation and opportunity which we embrace and welcome. That’s why we need talented people with passion and ambition to join us. Explore your next opportunity at Western Power.
About Western Power
Western Power delivers on the changing energy needs of Western Australians, powered by community trust and the passion of our people. We respect and take care of each other, our community and the environment. We are focused on serving our customers and are committed to providing a safe working environment for our people. It is an exciting time in the electricity industry, a time of great change, innovation and opportunity which we embrace and welcome. That’s why we need talented people with passion and ambition to join us.
At Western Power we are committed to safely and efficiently connecting the community with the energy needed to power their lives.
This is a permanent full-time position located at our Perth Head Office
About the Role:
This role is accountable for facilitating the delivery of high quality substation engineering and design services in a safe, reliable, efficient and commercially responsible manner.
This will be achieved through the use of technical knowledge, experience, and skills to undertake assigned detail design work without supervision.
- Required to apply skills and knowledge to complete assigned tasks to relevant standards, taking into account task performance requirements, task management and contingency management
- Lead and carry out technical tasks associated with substation detail design/drafting working as an integral part of a multidiscipline team
- Without supervision, prepare detail design arrangements and drawings for assigned projects
- Without supervision, prepare plant specifications and perform contract award activities for assigned work
- Responsible for development of standard and / or process improvements to achieve optimal service delivery and safety initiatives
- Provide extensive mentoring and coaching on substation design both within and to the wider Western Power community
The successful applicant will be experienced and competent in the following:
- Sound technical experience in a network business associated with the design and construction of substations.
- At least 10 years of experience in a utility networks design business
- Sound working knowledge of other disciplines associated with substation design, including protection settings, SCADA and communications
- Sound working knowledge of substation construction and commissioning practices
- Conceptual and analytical skills
- An understanding of risk and compliance management and its application in the business
- Tertiary qualification in the relevant Engineering Discipline, recognised by Engineers Australia as satisfying the academic requirements for appointment as a Professional Engineer
- Be eligible for the classification of “Member” of Engineers Australia
- Strong communication skills and customer focus.
- Valid WA Driver’s License Class ‘C’ or ‘C-A’
Experience in one or more of the areas below are desirable:
- Substation civil and structural design
- Building structural analysis
- Proficient in civil structural software such as SPACE GASS, SAFE, SAP2000
What’s on Offer?
At Western Power, our people are our strength. As an employee at Western Power, we offer:-
- Competitive remuneration;
- A safe and sustainable workplace
- Equal opportunity employment;
- Personal development and training opportunities;
- Flexible work arrangements and
- An award winning employee recognition programme.
Like to know more?
Please submit a copy of your current resume and covering letter together with your qualifications and proof of working rights in Australia.
At Western Power, our people are our strength. We offer a collaborative, flexible and safe work environment within a large organisation and are committed to equal opportunity employment. You will receive opportunities for development and training, use your skills and develop new ones to meet the challenges of an organisation delivering an essential service to the people of Western Australia.